The other day, I needed to remove PXE point from SCCM server temporarily. Then I tried to re-install PXE and WDS but I couldn't.
I tried a lot of different recommendations from web and they didn't work either. Distmgr.log has these error entries:
Failed to open WDS service.
Failed (2) to run: ServerManagerCmd.exe -i WDS -a
Then I found the solution in the following link. Because I spent one day to find this solution, I decided to keep this solution here for the guys who might need it.
- remove boot images from DP
- uncheck PXE, DO NOT uninstall WDS
- Uninstall wds from server manager, reboot
- remove d:\RemoteInstall and C:\windows\system32\reminst, if exists - reboot
- install wds through server manager, reboot
- wds fails to start
- wdsutil /initialize-server /reminst:D:\RemoteInstall
- enable PXE
- distribute the boot images to DP